elder and cannon architects logo
The Russell Institute

A significant building in the history of Paisley, this highly impressive and largely intact Category A-listed building is notable for its stonework, statuary, interior, period innovative construction and social purpose as a Neonatal Centre bequeathed to the people of Paisley in 1920.

Following an option appraisal the Institute has now been restored and adapted to its new use as a contemporary office facility for Renfrewshire Council and Employability Drop-in Centre for Skills Development Scotland. Work involved careful transformation of the existing cellular spaces to a series of linear open plan offices, introduction of a new reception and conference facilities with improvements throughout for accessibility, alongside comprehensive work to restore its significant features and rich materiality. 

Scottish Design Award 2018
GIA Award 2017