elder and cannon architects logo
Castlemilk Stables, Glasgow

The latest of Castlemilk‚Äôs Regeneration project brings to realisation the adaptive restoration of this historic Castlemilk House Stables Block.  Designed circa 1790 it is Category B Listed. Externally the building appears as a restored Stables Block following the original building profile of natural stone walls and slated pitched roofs over varying volumes with a more contemporary approach beeing employed to the central courtyard. A new steel and frameless glazed logia provide the primary circulation route to accommodation within the existing stone and new northern volumes focusing on the recessed central courtyard. A sustainable approach has been adopted to the services philosophy for the building. The systems are designed to minimise the mechanical requirements of the services and optimise their performance throughout the whole life of the building.

Awards 2008:
RIAS Best Building in Scotland 2008
RIBA Award
Civic Trust Award; GIA Supreme Award